Childhood memories
13 Grihapravesam at Kodambakkam Pudur and after
The year is 1965 and I am in class 6. Grihapravesam preparations are in full swing . Just 5 days to go and we receive a telegram "all leave cancelled". From the newspapers we learn China has intruded into Ladakh. We know that Appa is in the Ladakh region.
Stoically every one goes about their job. Our Periappa and Periamma officiate and do the honours. One relative comments that the house is like a pigeon hole. Comparing it no doubt with our ancestral house at Tennur. Patti returns to Trichy and me meet her again only after 4 years.
Actually by today's standard it is a good property. MIGH in the TNHB records . It has two bedrooms on the ground floor and one on the first floor. Set in almost 3 grounds , it is perfect for Amma to indulge in her hobby..gardening.
Amma shifts house while we are at school and she tells us to get down at T.nagar bus stand and walk up to our new home after school. I have seen the route once. I get down at the required stop, walk across Madley level crossing, and then stand before a temple in the middle of the road. Left or right that is the question. I choose left and know I am completely lost. Some milkmen say they have heard of this new place and one says he supplies milk there. He accompanies me only to stop before a padani or toddy seller under a palm tree. Thankfully I espy my house at a distance and rush home. I prove once again that I am a duffer.
While property records may show this place to be Kodambakkam Pudur, it is now commonly known as Ashok Nagar. On the East we have Ram colony , which is actually a vegetable farm. Just about a kilometre south is the Adyar river. Behind us on the north are just palm and mango groves upto Kodambakkam. On the west are the majestic Ashok pillar and water tank with their beautiful gardens. Beyond the pillar is absolute open land.Our street has the first houses and first residents.
No buses . We walk upto the T. Nagar bus stand. Returning from school I can even read a book while walking .
Route no. 49 is introduced from pillar to T nagar. Now we get down at Doraiswamy road and walk from there. Going back home we buy vegetables at the Fair price shop at Panagal park. I suppose they were some sort of regulated shops.
Holy Angels or rather Our Ladies accommodates boys only upto class 2 so Amma tries to fit in my youngest brother with the others in the Santhome school. She is rebuffed.Armed with a letter from Appa she goes to the C M Bhakthavatsalam's office. Amma is a pro at this. She has always been going to the RBI to get Appa's salary. The school reluctantly admits him.
Appa's leave is sanctioned and once again we happily wait for him to come home.
The year is 1965 and I am in class 6. Grihapravesam preparations are in full swing . Just 5 days to go and we receive a telegram "all leave cancelled". From the newspapers we learn China has intruded into Ladakh. We know that Appa is in the Ladakh region.
Stoically every one goes about their job. Our Periappa and Periamma officiate and do the honours. One relative comments that the house is like a pigeon hole. Comparing it no doubt with our ancestral house at Tennur. Patti returns to Trichy and me meet her again only after 4 years.
Actually by today's standard it is a good property. MIGH in the TNHB records . It has two bedrooms on the ground floor and one on the first floor. Set in almost 3 grounds , it is perfect for Amma to indulge in her hobby..gardening.
Amma shifts house while we are at school and she tells us to get down at T.nagar bus stand and walk up to our new home after school. I have seen the route once. I get down at the required stop, walk across Madley level crossing, and then stand before a temple in the middle of the road. Left or right that is the question. I choose left and know I am completely lost. Some milkmen say they have heard of this new place and one says he supplies milk there. He accompanies me only to stop before a padani or toddy seller under a palm tree. Thankfully I espy my house at a distance and rush home. I prove once again that I am a duffer.
While property records may show this place to be Kodambakkam Pudur, it is now commonly known as Ashok Nagar. On the East we have Ram colony , which is actually a vegetable farm. Just about a kilometre south is the Adyar river. Behind us on the north are just palm and mango groves upto Kodambakkam. On the west are the majestic Ashok pillar and water tank with their beautiful gardens. Beyond the pillar is absolute open land.Our street has the first houses and first residents.
No buses . We walk upto the T. Nagar bus stand. Returning from school I can even read a book while walking .
Route no. 49 is introduced from pillar to T nagar. Now we get down at Doraiswamy road and walk from there. Going back home we buy vegetables at the Fair price shop at Panagal park. I suppose they were some sort of regulated shops.
Holy Angels or rather Our Ladies accommodates boys only upto class 2 so Amma tries to fit in my youngest brother with the others in the Santhome school. She is rebuffed.Armed with a letter from Appa she goes to the C M Bhakthavatsalam's office. Amma is a pro at this. She has always been going to the RBI to get Appa's salary. The school reluctantly admits him.
Appa's leave is sanctioned and once again we happily wait for him to come home.
Comments
Post a Comment