Raspberry pie (23)
Spring is on its way . The grass is greener and flowers brighter on the other side of the river . I cut the daisies and dandelions in bunches for the vases. I look out for the brothers. Elder one is playing cricket with the village crowd further down. Sometime later he brings these friends home. Through the back door like us naturally. The front door is opened only for IP s and fire place in the drawing room is lit only for VIP s. They come in a single file and enter his room. Proudly he shows them the crystal set he has made. Giving them a scientific lecture. They are shown his globe too. Any one fingering anything else will be slapped they are warned.
The younger two are on the next hill. They have an old transistor radio with them . They are calculating some paces. To this day I don't know what they do there. I know they have became extremely close .Their hobbies and activities are the same. I think they were taking baby steps to becoming amateur radio hams. The first things they bought for themselves on starting to earn were radio transmitter sets and both got their licenses early. They have friends all over the world and have had many exciting experiences because of this hobby. I am getting ahead of my self. At school they are recognised for their talent and in the coming years the school science fair is all about their displays. After a year or so Babbu will be going to New Delhi as a representative.
I have already told you about the beauties surrounding us till your ears are ready to fall off. Please allow me just this one. We hear about wild raspberry bushes ready for the picking. Two or three families are ready with buckets and other containers. On the way all ladies trade recipes. Raspberry pies, jams, tarts, juice.everything. Why can't they just eat it I wonder. We start plucking the orange juicy berries. After an hour getting tired we come together. There is hardly one fruit in anyones container. Every one right from those grand ladies have had their fill. We return home empty handed as it starts to rain. Ladies and their big mouths bah.
I am forgetting about the earthquakes. No panic attacks as it is an every day occurrence. Houses rattle, vessels jump. Schools give emergency training. We never had to use it even once.
We are yet to go to Cherrapunji. Now we learn we have to go to Mawsynram as well.
With the weather turning pleasant. Appa and Amma begin gardening with a passion. They take up all space inside the compound and also land outside upto the river. The plants list is too long . Better keep it for another day.
Babbu on his way to Delhi . third from right.
Comments
Post a Comment