Set theory and new maths.(25)


You have to dissect frogs and cockroaches they whisper. This is enough to put me off biology for life. When we are asked to pick our electives in class 9  I choose the maths group.The principal asks me to reconsider. His problem? I am the only student  to have chosen it. New maths is being introduced. The teachers themselves have to undergo training in something  called set theory . A trained teacher will be here very late. I am adamant.

            A month later I wish I had given in or taken a  group like geography or English. My problem? Since my elder brother who is in class 10 and also in the same group   has the text books, why go in for a duplicate set the high command at home decrees. I have a tough time juggling texts books  when both of us have consecutive classes. I would yell from below to my brother to the drop the books . Every one within a radius of 1 km can hear me except him. I would rush up only to find him chatting with friends .Tough luck being a middle child I can tell you. 

                Suddenly last year I had realised that I was wearing boys shoes with laces all through my life. Hand me down from the elder. After my constant nagging the high command has relented. This year I have shoes with buckles. I am so pleased with myself. The  principal waves a circular. Girls to wear laced shoes. The devil has worked overtime .

                   As usual we have new Hindi and Sanskrit teachers. They are so predictable. They arrive dressed in dhotis and coats. By weekend they graduate to pants and by month end they start lobbying for a transfer back to the plains.

                 I am so proud that I am reading PG Wodehouse. I mention this in and out of context at class.Going home I meet a junior with a Jeeves book prominently displayed in her blazer pocket. My bubble bursts.

                  Right after the first day I go next door and terminate my Rabindra Sangeet music classes.            

                    Poor Tarvinder she has to beard the physics  lion at our den. Jatinder  naturally comes with her. We make a list of comics to be exchanged. The classes go on in the drawing room. Inside we are laughing our heads off playing games. That proves to be a costly mistake .We are to study too at the same time says the high command. 

                  Then Jatinder 's mother gives a gift that is to change our life .

Comments