#எப்படி_இருந்த_நான்
Are you an Iyengar asks my class cum hostel mate on my first day at college in Trichy. Yes I say, slightly hesitant . Does one talk about such things still. Her next question floors me completely. Vadakalai or Thengalai ? She may as well be talking in Greek or Latin. Let me tell you that after consulting with my grandma .
Five years later I am in Chennai and just married. No no your way of sevikkaradu is completely wrong they say. Your Tamil is so strange.
I laugh and laugh when the grand mother in law tells me that we should start for Ayanavaram, my father in law’s place only after Rahu Kalam. Isn’t that something they see while conducting marriages. I am already married, so why are they talking about Rahu Kalam.
As the days go by I realise that everything revolves around Rahu Kalam. Talk about something important, going to buy the smallest of things and of course visiting people.
The next shocker was Sagunam. They would think nothing of standing in front of the house waiting for the right people with the right implements to arrive .
Once my husband was standing there on the road and he suddenly remembered something and asked me to bring it. So I took it to him via the shortest passage. He was all anger . He wouldn’t take it. You must always come around he said and pointed his fingers .
So back I went , and remember this is a huge house with lots of coconut trees. I went around a few trees to be on the safe side and gave him the pen or whatever. There he was doubling up with laughter. He had meant that I should always come prathakshinam of the Tulasi madam.
Well that was just one side of their character. They had a very pleasant side too. Going anywhere in the city in my father’s household meant we started very early, caught the bus , sometimes two and still manage to reach our destination in time. Here we just walked to the road called an auto or taxi and had a peaceful journey.
Look at me now. My military father’s upbringing may come through now and then . I can book the Ola for when necessary .I wear the madisar for pooja.I was conducting three thithis per year .Yes Rahu Kalam to be avoided in moderation. Everything that is bought has to be shown to the Gods.
So don’t be surprised if you see a Bata shoe box near our pooja shelf when you visit us.
Comments
Post a Comment