Company for the old.


                      When my Prabandham teacher passed away in 2018 , his wife decided to continue the group readings. 

    

                        Now almost 80 and living alone ,( her daughters living  in the city look after her every comfort) she finds companionship in us. 


                         She looks forward to our daily visits. Loves the gossip we share . After our reading there she is with a small portion of the dish she has made as tiffin.


                          Though alone she is never lonely. 


                           I don’t know how it can be worked out or the logistics of the procedure. I however did see a Hollywood movie where the lady protagonist was a part time companion to the elderly . She would visit in turns. Read out to some, play some board games or cards. Buy some essential things. Pay some bills etc. 


                           Can we as a group do something like this.   There are any number of single old or even couples who find it difficult to go out even to buy some necessities. 


                            Yesterday I was returning by share auto from T Nagar , when an old lady of 75 or so got into the van at the Arya Gowda road turning. She had umpteen things in her hands and one small bag. One was a packet of ragi I remember. She had difficulty getting in. Getting down near the postal colony post office she had difficulty in paying the auto man even though she had the money in her hand ready. Getting down was still a problem . It was then that I saw ,her in -skirt or petticoat was completely torn from the hem and was dragging behind her.  My heart gave a lurch . Anyway she got down without mishap. What if is the question. 

                            This is what I am talking about.  Something small we can do. 

Written for volunteers of Madhyamar group.


                   

Comments