தனி திறமை 2020.


         Sing ? no . Dance , drama ? are you joking. Debates and speeches . A few. Drawing , painting , handwork. Yes to an extent. 


         You ask me to sit in a corner where no one can disturb me , I will get hundred percent. Completely engrossed in books .That is me. 


            However I did have some saving graces. All the schools I studied in had needlework classes . On my mother’s side too everyone was good at it . Studying in KV meant I had to submit assignments and journals in the 10 th class. So tailoring , embroidery, knitting , crochet and tattling came  easy to me.

             

        Once on a holiday to my Trichy Patti’s home ,  I saw some Anchor thread pages just lying there . Do you  know how rare they are . How costly each sheet is. Well some one had been an Anchor representative in the family . Seeing my interest my Patti gave them to me. I treasure them to this day.


             My parents were like that too When I was in school I had made some table cloths. Casement material. After a hundred washes the material was worn out , but my parents could not think of throwing it away. So they cut out the embroidered portion and kept it.. There it is with my cut work table cloth made when I was 15 or 16. Pulled thread , crossstitch, fabric paint , I have done every thing.


             Crotchet mats, tattling edges I have done a few. Maximum I have done knitting. 


                The army wives welfare society would periodically give out cloth for tailoring, embroidery, knitting etc . Amma and I would diligently do our share. 


                 When in college that is some 50 years ago I made 2  knitted clutch purses . Only now I have removed that plastic cover lining I had given it . Washed it  and now Waiting to get it lined professionally . 


                  For my granddaughter before she  left for London first time I made a full set, bonnet, scarf , sweater, mittens and booties. Maroon and white combination. I have a picture of her with her paternal gf wearing my bonnet . The pic where she is wearing the whole set is not traceable.


                   My father would periodically ask me to unravel some of his old sweaters and army woollen socks and make a sleeveless vest for him. This he would wear throughout the year. Some would be multicoloured. Here is a pic of him wearing my sweater.


                   During the lockdown period I made some masks to give the helpers in my street.

Comments