Adventure Evening.


         No not the sports variety. No jungle hike, cross country walk or adventure sport. 

          

            Walking with little Anisha from home to the library and back during the evening . 😁.

    

                First hurdle is crossing the 10 th avenue . No ,buses don’t ply on this road, even so due to Sangeetha hotel, Grace supermarket and pillar you have to be alert. In a few years someone may be holding my hand to help me cross this  road . Mindful of the fact that I have a small child clutching my hand I did the Bharatanatyam postures with just one hand. 

             Then Anisha had to let go of my hand to wave to her friends on 9 th avenue . Hey you left out the vegetables shop Patti I reminded her. Wave, wave and clutch.

                Now we have reached the terror zone. We are right in time for the Girls School bell. Oh! I don’t know how parents do this everyday .Cycles, two wheelers, autos , vans all in a haphazard manner. We are just about to reach the turning when girls start pouring out and vehicles start revving . Yes I was holding my heart in my hand. I have never done this , never picked up my own children  from school. You see we were latchkey children. This is my son’s version . Almost picking up the child in my arms I rush to the relative safety of the circular road. 

               Heart still  palpitating I give the biography of the great women who adorn the compound wall of the school . This Anisha is always interested in. 

                 At last we reach the library. Why this tantrum to go to the library?

                   Two days back I had given my children ‘s treasured Asterix and Tintin collected books to the ironing lady’s son who studies in an English medium school. He cannot take them home for fear of his father. ( yes you guessed right , one drink too many then blows right and left.) So he leaves them here , and comes here  from school to read a few pages everyday.

                   Now Anisha feels sidelined, why only he should get story books, I too want some.


                       That’s all okay , but how do parents and grandparents manage children on the road ?  At the school gate? That is the question.

Comments