#வாப்பா


        Vapa and Badrunnisa  tried to find ways to come closer to me. I was always suspicious of them . Would they alienate me from my Appa . When I asked my Appa this , he just laughed. No , no one can do that, he said.

          I suppose you do realise that they have lost a son who was just your age . Let them be happy just seeing you. 


           Fate had other things in store for me. 


          Suddenly one day  Appa had a paralytic stroke. Vapa and Badrunissa took complete charge of everything .  Appa , me and our household. 

             Now I started calling her aunty. Back home  from the hospital Appa needed physiotherapy . Later someone to walk with him as he progressed  with faltering steps. Vapa would come back from his job and do everything he could. 

    

                 Even with all this help I could not stop dark clouds from sitting on my brow. A stray conversation  overheard about Muslims in our household , some derisive laughter,  set me brooding . Who were these people. 

                 When that Veeru Anna called me for a lark I went along with him and was caught smoking by the master. Vapa had to meet the headmaster in Appa’s stead.


                      Vapa pacified the HM , told him about my troubles at home. Gave a promise on my behalf that such conduct would not be repeated.


                   Coming out he said , I don’t want to add to your Appa’s woes. . I will just say that your marks were below par and you need to make up. This incident will be between us. 

                     Your father is more than a friend to me . When I was in between jobs he gave me a steadying hand. We have known each other since  our school days. My wife thinks of him as an elder brother.  Your Amma and she were good friends too. Anything you want to ask or talk about we are there for you.

                 

   

                      With a jerk I realised my situation. How foolishly I had imagined my future just going to pieces.  Life was not all that bad when you have devoted friends around you. Why bother about their religion when they are not forcing it upon you. Why aunty even taught me how to light the lamp for pooja and sat with me while I learnt some slokas. They are just two good people .

                    I gave my solemn promise and adhered to it. Evenings I started going with them on their walks and was surprised at Vapa’s in depth knowledge of so many things. Even Appa started joining us in our conversations. 


                     Appa made good recovery in six months. My association with vapa and aunty continued till I left home for higher studies. 


                      Yes my roommates at the hostel look at me wonderingly whenever they hear me on the phone.    Vapa   and Badrunissa aunty’s names are  always on my lips. Yes they are my second parents.

Comments