Yesterday was World postal day and today it is The Indian postal day. 


     Here in India till telegrams were made redundant by the mobiles  the Postal department was called P and T department. 


      Do you remember the numbered greetings ? Sometimes the greetings would reach its destination just as numbers to the bewilderment of the receivers. 😁. I was one such before I got more gyan.


       My father in law was the postmaster at the Central station post office when I was married.


          My husband was in Mumbai and I was still with my parents when the first Pongal arrived. My youngest brother dropped me at my in law’s house at Ayanavaram . 


            I was wondering at the discomfiture of the two gents  so different in age .  Nothing in common. 


             I need not have worried. 


              As a veteran Postal worker my father in law was an ace with the Morse code. The code in which telegrams are sent. My brother was about to write a technical exam to get a ham radio license. One of the requisites of this exam being a thorough knowledge of the Morse code. 


                It was a blast from then on. 


                The house was soon echoing to dih dah dah dids which is how dots and dashes are pronounced. No they would not get up even for lunch. 😁


                   I always have a soft corner for the postal workers not only because of my father in law but also because of the very useful gifts his colleagues gave me for my marriage.😅


                    There I am at the Philately building near the Mount Road GPO where I bought those Ramayana stamps. 


                     The stamps exhibited are a lesson in history.

Comments